The house in this magnificent property was built in 1877, and both the garden and house were renovated 12 years ago. The garden is composed of several different areas connected by winding cement/sandstone paths. You enter via a ‘wild garden’ with a dry creek. Towards the house there are bottle trees, palms, beschornerias, and Mexican sedum flanking the path. The front of the house is surrounded by a climbing wild rose, opposite an oval bed of sedum. Overlooking the tennis court is a barbecue area, with a rooftop garden which was planted 12 months ago.
The design is Modernist – it includes sections like southern California-style gardens with strelitzia, giant furcraea and Californian Buckeye (chestnut) underplanted with mondo grass. A 1000 litre tank collects water and there are several sculptures (including by Inge King and Tim Nicholls), a nashi pear arbour leading to the pool, water feature, orchard and beehive. The pump house, dog kennel and interesting clothesline are made of rusted steel. There is also a herb garden, pergola with white wisteria, woodland area and old stables – an abundance of delightful features!